American Library Association
Midwinter Meeting (2004 Jan. 9-12 : San Diego, Calif.)
Report on cataloging, etc. meetings

Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA) - Saturday p.m. and Monday a.m. (in part) * current task forces: SMDs, opac displays, metadata for digital resources, ISBD(G) review, FRBR terminology * AACR2 update packages for 2003 selling about the same as original * ALA is creating an infobase for JSC to use in revision process (text can be copied/pasted) * JSC is currently reviewing the new edition of AACR2R2002 concise * cartographic materials manual in final stages * publishers negotiating with CDS for inclusion of AACR in web Catalogers Desktop * after some discussion, it was determined to forward the definition for colored illustrations as proposed by John Attig (ARLIS/NA had reached some consensus that these were dictionary words and therefore didn’t need to be defined in AACR but, if so, the Attig definition was ok) * a new task force will look at the rules for early printed monographs (closing sections of Chapter 2) and determine if they need to be included in AACR (they are aimed at the occasional rare book cataloger and regular rare book catalogers mostly use DCRB) * Matthew Beacom reported that 2004 revision package will go to the publishers in late February (JSC is now doing final review) and be published in summer 2004 * JSC will meet in April in Ottawa; on the agenda: new edition and the hiring of an editor, including consistency and arrangement by ISBD with chapters on issuance and carrier; col. ill.; bir; seriality paper from CILIP; format variation rules for uniform titles; FRBR terms; part 3 on authority control; SMDs; examples for new edition * Judy Kuhagen is finishing work on series section of proposed part 3 * 2004 revision package may be last for AACR2R2002 since AACR3 may be the next step (timeline to be set at April JSC meeting, maybe 4 years per rough Beacom estimate) * report of first IFLA meeting of experts on an international cataloging code at

Program for Cooperative Cataloging Participants Meeting - Sunday evening * Roxanne Sellberg is new chair * CONSER report by coordinator Les Hawkins: aggregator-neutral e-journal record now implemented; working on publication patterns for e-journals; CONSER summit will be held in March * BIBCO report by Ana Cristán: new quota of 100 per year; expansion of coordinator role; Robert Ellett is studying use of PCC bib records by non-PCC libraries; task groups on SACO program development (final report at and study of remote access resources * Standing Committee (SC) on Automation report by Gary Charbonneau: Robert Bremer working on macro to build ER record from print record; task group on linking entries; survey of automated authority-record generators and studying upload to utilities or LC * SC on Standards report by Paul Weiss: considering looking at other standards like VRA Core; task groups on conference publications, function of authority file, international participation; looking at moving image RIs; also looking at e-book aggregator packages, consolidating documentation, parallel-language records, FRAR and FRANAR, records with dead URL links * SC on Training report by David Banush: draft report in from Task Force on Descriptive Metadata Training, looking at integrating resources documentation, NACO participants manual still being worked on, BIBCO training materials will be revised this year, dry run of subject analysis training done before Midwinter at UCSD (and to be done in Scotland in the spring), working on documentation for name authority training * Policy Committee report by Carlen Ruschoff: chair emeritus added to PoCo; BFM report automation developed in consort with OCLC; SACO to become a program with institutional participants as well as individual submissions (working on expedited contribution by participants) * Steering Committee report: funding of CONSER summit and BIBCO documentation; developing standards for continued participation in NACO (if under quota, either recommit to higher level, join a funnel, or drop out); train the series training took place at NLM, NYU Law, St Louis Law, Texas A&M, Tulane, Yale, etc.) * Gary Strawn (Northwestern) studying availability of copy (PCC, non-PCC, none) over time (now, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, later) related to imprint date * University of Maryland analyzed its participation in PCC, the relation to production levels, barriers, priorities for cataloging

RLG Technical Services Strategy Focus Group - Friday p.m. - batch load report: BL will start loading in June 2004; Columbia test file being analyzed; NL Australia now loading so Z39.50 connection will be dropped (retrospective files will be loaded); Penn State will be weekly by June; U of Minnesota will provide a test file soon * Yale is working on best practices manual for collection-level records for access to finding aids * plans for migration: off Stanford mainframe by August 31st; issues: ARC segment action fields and privacy (MARBI proposals); no test authority file yet; migration in authorities edit/update may be faster than with bib file; early users of RLIN21 tech services client are scheduled to start in June * cf

Subject Analysis Committee - Sunday a.m. and Monday p.m. (in part) * reports on MARBI, IFLA, Sears, DDC, FAST, NISO (many written) * “Assigning genre, topical subject, and geographic headings to individual literary works” from introduction to Sears List has broader interest * Lynn El-Hoshy reported on subject activities at LC (written report distributed) * FAST authority file available at * Subcommittee on Subject Reference Structures in Automated Systems submitted its report in December 2003; some papers from their program are posted * documentation for subject analysis training at * preconference on subject analysis to be held at Annual in Orlando (2 full days) * work of semantic interoperability subcommittee underway (Shelby Harken, chair) * PCC PoCo and Steering Committee will discuss SACO Program development at spring meetings * 3 MeSH tools are being discontinued in print versions * ACIG will do a program in Orlando with Tillett, Taylor, Attig, Hearn and Chan as speakers and with Z39.19 and FAST, FRBR and FRAR as topics

SAC Task Force on Named Buildings - Monday a.m.

Chaired by Claudia Hill, the task force reviewed its charge and the documents that laid the groundwork for the task force’s work. The PCC Task Group on Name versus Subject Authorities deferred the question of headings for named buildings until ARLIS/NA prepared a proposal. ( The ARLIS/NA Cataloging Advisory Committee (CAC) submitted its proposal in early 2002 and the LC Cataloging Policy and Support Office responded in early 2003. The thrust of the CPSO response pointed to the FRBR model.

Lynn El-Hoshy reviewed the treatment of buildings at LC, particularly institutions that shared the share the name of the building in which they are housed. The most frequent example of institution is the local church which is covered by AACR. Lynn also described the work of the PCC Task Force on SACO Program Development. The latter was especially relevant since the ARLIS/NA proposal had been based on the assumption of ease in NACO submission over SACO proposals. SACO developments may reduce some of the differences.

The task force reviewed some of the issues relating to named buildings, e.g. earlier/later names, broader-term references on SAF records, qualifiers, institutions. Each of the task force members will prepare an example of a building treated by existing procedures and by the ARLIS/NA proposal. The task force will also study the theoretical basis found in FRBR, whereby buildings are explicitly described as Group 3 entities along with concepts and events rather than as Group 2 entities with corporate bodies and persons. cf

The minutes of the meeting were prepared by Liz O’Keefe, current chair of CAC. The task force will update SAC at Annual 2004 and submit its final report at Midwinter 2005.

Technical Services Directors of Large Research Libraries Discussion Group (“Big Heads”) - Friday a.m. * UNC will drop its Science Direct subscription and do individual subscriptions as desired * discussion of international MARC records and the work required to use them in copy cataloging: OCLC and RLIN provide access to international records through gateways (always the problem of knowing how far to search); Yale did an informal test with CURL records and did not find enough useful copy to make it worth it; need to be able to identify good records with non-English description; LC and others reported that individual catalogers searched for copy in opacs, including foreign ones * Princeton is sending through 99% of Casalini receipts with their enhanced records, with the work being done by a high-level paraprofessional cataloger (series are routinely checked on copy at NjP which is one problem on enhanced Casalini records noticed at NYU) * Stanford uses Yankee Provisional Plus records (description & LCC call number & one subject heading) and does not recycle those records * many would like Harrassowitz to provide enhanced vendor records (a post-ALA discussion at NYU with a contractor for the Deutsche Bibliothek expressed regret and hope that there was more interest in Harrassowitz records than in DB copy) * Beth Russell (Ohio State) reported on the “Exposing hidden collections” symposium held at LC (including special collections coverage in opacs, federated searching across opacs and other files, content management systems, technical processing of digital materials, preservation) * Judy Nadler (Chicago) led a discussion of challenges, strategies, opportunities (i.e. new areas for technical services and libraries at large): library/IT fairs; courseware support; enhanced records for offsite items (e.g. digitized TOC); metadata development (joint library/IT and non-library); desktop support and report writing * Karen Calhoun (Cornell) reported on Digital Consulting and Production Services (DCAPS) which is a virtual group which draws on library and other staff as warranted for each project; cf - full minutes with numerous links prepared by Judith Hopkins available at

... go to other ALA reports ...